DownThemAll or simply dTa is free to download software, which is basically a download manager. Some part of this software is open source and distributed under GPL license. Developed by freelance software professionals, this is a popular software. Apart from download manager, it can also be use for downloading links and files (media, documents, etc) that are embedded in the web site (page).
Unfortunately this software is not available for Chrome and as per the feedback from the development team they don’t have plans to develop it in near future (for Chrome). But the good part is that there is certain software that can be used in place of dTa in Chrome and are equally good.
JDownloader is Java-based utility, which can be used as download manage, accelerator and link grabbing service. Similar to dTa in feature set and performance, this software can be downloaded from here. You can select as per platform i.e. Windows, Linux, and Mac etc. Here we have taken example of Window™ platform since its widely used.
- Select WebInstaller or offline Installer, download file and open (or run).
- Since this is java based, the installer will search for Java™ Runtime Environment. If the same is not installed, it will prompt for installation.
- Click Download or Locate (if present locally).
- Click Finish to complete install.
- Please note that in some cases, this default auto down loader does not install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) successfully. In such an instance, please install Java directly from the website. After successful JRE installation, you may need to re launch the JDownloader.
- On proper installation and run, the following window shall display.
- Please make note that on first JDownloader launch, it may check for updates and if required, updates may be downloaded and installed.
Next step – Chrome Plug-in install
Now the second (and important) part of installation process is the addition of JDownloader extension in Chrome. This particular extension can be installed from this link.
- Click on Add to Chrome, to install extension. On successful installation of the extension, JDownloader icon will appear besides address bar in Chrome.
How to download
Now open any web page that you want to download (embedded files, links, etc.) and press the JDownloader icon. Please refer to the example page below:
Press Allow it! And open JDownloader. Click Start downloads in list (or Alt+P) to download them all.
Also note that sometimes it may be possible that auto link transfer may not happen (due to Chrome version mismatch, platform dependencies or otherwise). In that case user need to copy the page link and paste into Add URL(s) – Parse URL(s) – Continue to make it work. JDownloader will parse the link and display the files to be downloaded.
This article was last updated on July 5th, 2012 in Google Chrome