What is Google Panda ?
On February, 2011 Google introduced a new algorithm for affecting ranking of those websites in Google Search engine which contains ‘low quality content’. It lowers down the ranking of those websites which contains duplicate, thin, and weak content. It affected 12% of Google search engine results. Panda will affect your entire site and not a single page. Suppose your site contains some pages having low quality content and some other pages contains high quality content, panda will penalize your entire domain and the ranking will goes down because of those low content pages. Mainly the sites which are affected by panda are as follows:
- Sites which contains poor or duplicate content.
- Sites which have too much advertisement on it.
- Websites Which have poor branding and usability.
- Product based sites with poor content.
Google Panda Update
|Version||Release Date||A Note||References|
|Google Panda # 23||December 21, 2012||Google announced last year (2011) that they wouldn’t push any panda update before holiday season but this time (2012) they couldn’t keep up their promise . This time the new Panda data refresh affected ~1.3% of English queries noticeably.||click here|
|Google Panda # 22||November 21, 2012||It was a data refresh and affected 0.8 % of English search queries.||There is no official information from Google via twitter but they informed SEO industry unofficially.|
|Google Panda # 21||November 5, 2012||It was a data refresh and affected 0.4 % queries that a normal searcher can identify and 1.1 % of US in English Searches.||click here|
|Google Panda # 20||September 27, 2012||This time it is not called as 3.9.3 because to avoid the confusion people in SEO industry decided to count the number as “20″. This time Google updated panda along with an update called EMD (Exact Match Domain) Update. Also Matt Cutts from Google informed that 2.4% of English and 0.5% of non-English queries were impacted.
|Google Panda 3.9.2||September 18, 2012||It was a data refresh and affected less than 0.7 % of all search queries.||click here|
|Google Panda 3.9.1||August 20, 2012||It was a data refresh and affected less than 1% of all search queries||click here|
|Google Panda 3.9||July 24, 2012||It was a data refresh and It affected 1% of all search queries (Note: Though it is 1% it is very significant as reported by many seo forums and web masters)||click here|
|Google Panda 3.8||June 25, 2012||It was a data refresh with no update in algorithm. It affected 1% of all search queries||click here|
|Google Panda 3.7||June 8, 2012||Update was minor which affected 1% of all search queries||click here|
|Google Panda 3.6||April 27, 2012||Here the algorithm of finding high-quality sites was improved||click here|
|Google Panda 3.5||April 19, 2012||This update mainly targets over optimization, keyword stuffing and spammy websites||click here|
|Google Panda 3.4||March 23, 2012||Update was minor which affected 1.6% of all search queries. The update hampers traffic of blog networking websites a lot||click here|
|Google Panda 3.3||February 26, 2012||Here the algorithm of finding sites with fresh contents, spam detection techniques and Link Evaluation method was improved. In this update shopping rich snippets was launched internationally||click here|
|Google Panda 3.2||January 15, 2012||Here the algorithm of finding high-quality sites, spelling correction and auto-complete function in queries, Scrolling for image search, image search quality was improved.||click here|
|Google Panda 3.1||November 18, 2011||Update is minor which affected 1% of all search queries||click here|
|Google Panda 2.5.3||October 19/20, 2011||Update is minor (Not confirmed by Googlers)||click here|
|Google Panda 2.5.2||October 13, 2011||Update is minor (Confirmed by Googlers)||click here|
|Google Panda 2.5.1||October 9, 2011||An update version of panda 2.5||click here|
|Google Panda 2.5||September 30, 2011||Here the algorithm of finding high-quality content sites was improved||click here|
|Google Panda 2.4||August, 2011||This update can affect search results to all search queries. No matter which languages you are using for search queries.||click here|
|Google Panda 2.3||July 26,2011||It comes with an improved version of algorithm for differentiating between higher and lower quality sites.||click here|
|Google panda 2.2||June 16, 2011||Motive of this update was to detect Scrapper sites. But this was not completely successful||click here|
|Google Panda 2.1||May 10, 2011||This update can affect search results if your search queries are even smaller than 2.0 release.||click here|
|Google Panda 2.0||April 11, 2011||Implemented globally to affect the search results if the queries are in English language only. This update affected only 2 % of search queries||click here|
|Google Panda 1.0||February 24, 2011||Mainly targets content firm that contains user generated and many low quantity pages. This version was implemented only in US||click here|
Use of Google Panda Update
Within the time from 1995 to 2011, there is a huge increment of registered domains from 15,000 to 350,000,000. So Google released a new algorithm in February, 2011 named as “Google Panda” for giving higher ranking of those sites that have unique content so that the user can get better search results in Google search engine. Mainly Google designed this algorithm for the following reasons:
- To filter sites with low quantity content.
- For detecting scrapper sites.
- For reducing spam.
- To filter those sites that contains too many advertisements.
How to Recover from Google Panda Effect
- Reduce low quality content from your sites and focus on unique content.
- Design your pages for users.
- Don’t use too much advertisement.
- Don’t use irrelevant keywords. Resource : To learn more about importance of keywords.
- Social bookmarking in Google+ and Facebook works great.
- Don’t make poor grammatical mistakes.
- The behavior of the pages should not be malicious like phishing, viruses, etc.
- The users who once enter in your site; make sure that they won’t leave your page within seconds so that bounce rate is improved.
- Check the performance of your site and also optimize load times. To check the performance of sites, webmasters can use “Page Speed”, “YSlow”, etc.; as fast sites will improve satisfaction of the users.
- Your page should contain reasonable number of content links. Make sure that there are no broken links in your page.
Finally what we should understand from Google’s point of view by seeing all the information about panda recovery and also regular Google updates is that – we should concentrate on few very important things and they are:
- Content should be useful for the users – please keep in mind this phrase “content is king” – which is ever green and Google’s favorite! So make well researched content that is attractive, useful and informative and never write for the search engines (by stuffing keywords and irrelevant articles by just targeting the keywords)
- Okay! At least by now if you feel like changing your mind and started to clean up your site content – here is a very good resource on identifying and fixing the low performing and worst landing pages. By seeing this you can know the importance of the content and how Google will take signals considering your site’s bounce rate, time spend on your site and also conversion rate and so on. PLEASE NOTE : There is some controversy about the BOUNCE RATE of a site whether the high bounce rate will hamper the site or not – and for that, Matt Cutts (head of Google web-spam team) told in one SEO conference “high bounce rate can be related in a way by thinking that the user is going out of the site by getting the info so easily from the site and also he added that right now Google is not taking signals from the Google analytics data. But I am not sure about the future
- If you still unable to know whether you got hit by panda or not and if the traffic dip is related to panda or some penguin – this article will help you in identifying and fixing Google panda.
- Finally I would like to provide you with a video resource on google panda – made by seomoz.com and this will be really helpful for people who are still getting confused about it and also to those who wanted to know the real meaning of Google panda.
I hope the information and data provided above will help you in recovering from the Google panda effect and you can comment box below if you have further doubts!
This article was last updated on December 27th, 2012 in SEO